That Time I Seen Junior Brown - Surf Medley

My story of the first and only time I seen Junior Brown live. It was around 1996, I was at some kind of festival in Louisiana and all the bands that day were playing Country Music, which I'm not a fan of, but hey, a few beers, I like live music.



About midway through the evening I started hearing rumors of Junior Brown showing up and how his tour-bus driver got the bus stuck in the mud and through all the commotion, the bus driver got a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) because he was drunk! I'm like, hey, my kind of people, they're partiers.



Into the night most of the crowd started leaving and asked some passing girl what was up, I thought there was one more group to hit the stage, the headliner. She said, "It's Junior Brown, he thinks he's a Country musician!" I'm like, cool, if he's not cutting the mustard as Country player, maybe he's not? I'll check him out. So, because so many people had left, I made it to the front of the stage.



Man, this dude hit the stage running, balls out with energy, playing this weird guitar. (I've heard Fender guitar custom built this rig for him, don't know for fact).



After he'd been playing for a while, he broke into the surf melody jam, heavily improvised, comparing it to the tune in this video. By now, I was pretty pumped up because of his playing. Anyways, I started yelling "Stevie Ray! Stevie Ray" thinking he would do some SRV. But he didn't. So I started yelling "HENDRIX! HENDRIX!" and by golly he broke into Jimi's 3rd Stone From the Sun and did a Hendrix melody!



I was blown away! I was standing there in awe! Stevie Ray Vaughan was the first guitar player that had ever struck me with awe. I know Hendrix would have done that to me too, but Stevie was the first. Junior Brown was the second. This video doesn't capture the energy of that live performance I seen, but it reminds of the time I seen Junior Brown.



P.S. the lady playing acoustic guitar is his wife.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Aint Broke But I'm Badly Bent